Entry Point to Bhitarakanika
Bhitara Kanika was under the jurisdiction of the erstwhile Kanika Estate. It is covered with deep mangrove forests and saline rivers and was declared a sanctuary on 21.04.1975. It is a world famous place for natural crocodile breeding. Located in the estuarial region of Brahmani-Baitarani , in the north eastern place of Kendrapara districts, the national park covers an area of 672 sq km of mangrove forests and wetland. Crossed by a thick network of brooks with the bay of Bengal on the east , Bhitar Kanika is home to over 215 species of birds , including winter migratory birds from Europe and Central-Asia as the park provides a congenial atmosphere and serene , pollution free environment , birds migrate thousands of miles to Bhitar Kanika to escape the harsh winter in Ladakh, ManoSarovar , Himalayan region, Siberia , Kazaksthan , Mongolia , Russia , Afghanistan , Iraq, Northen Asia and some central European countries. The area has designated as the second Ramsar Site of the state in August 2002. It is a unique area with rich biodiversity as it covers different eco systems such as landmass, tidal water bodies of the deltaic region , estuaries and teritorial waters of the Bay of Bengal along with their associated flora and fauna.
Accommodation, Food & Time of issue of passes:-
- Panthaniwas(Aranya Niwas) private lodgings are available.
- Wayside restaurant also available.
- From 7.00 AM in the morning upto 12.15 PM of each day.
Boat,tariff,Jetty House available & facilities :-
- About 20 private registered boats available.
- Rate per sortie for day visitors from Chandabali to Dangmal Rs- 4000/-
- Rate per sortie for day visitors from Chandabali to Dangmal including night halt-Rs-4500/-
- Each boat can carry 18 persons with two crew members.
- Cost of entry passes is regulated as per notification No.FE-WL-WLF-0052-2015 2340 dated 08.02.2016 of the F&E Dept.
- Floating Jetty for easier boarding on boats.
- Ticket house.
- Toiles with water facilities.
- Sitting facilities
- Parking facilities.
- Stationary shop and Bus stop adjacent to the Jetty House.
How to Reach:
Nearest Air Port : Biju Patanaik Air Port, Bhubaneswar - 132 KM, to Chandabali , Entry Point to Bhitara Kanika
Nearest Railway Station : Bhadrak Railway Station - 55 KM to Chandabali ,Entry Point to Bhitara Kanika
Bus facility available from Kolkata, Balasore, Bhubaneswar, Keonjhar etc. .Cabs, auto also available. Distance from Bhadrak by Road-52kms. Distance from Balasore by Road-116kms. Distance from Kolkata by Road-363kms. Distance from Bhubaneswar by Road-132kms. Distance from Andapur, keonjhar by Road-99kms.